Romanian Modern Art
The Romanian Art Gallery is a project of the specialized section, within the Timișoara Art Museum and includes over 150 works of painting and sculpture, created between 1850 - 1970, by the most important modern Romanian artists.
The chronological exhibition highlights the evolution of modern Romanian art and the stylistic and thematic transformations that appeared during this time.
The collection of modern Romanian art was established after 1960 by the transfer to Timișoara of an important number of works from the patrimony of the National Museum of Art of Romania, respectively by donations and acquisitions. Works by classical artists Constantin Lecca, Sava Henția and Gheorghe Tătărescu mark the middle of the 19th century along with portraits and landscapes by Theodor Aman. The creation of Ion Andreescu and Nicolae Grigorescu represents a chapter of innovation of Romanian fine arts under the influence of the Barbizon school and outdoor painting, French impressionism and the new paradigm of composing painting through color and light, constituting a -a starting point for the Artistic Youth Society: the painter Ștefan Luchian, Arthur Verona, Nicolae Vermont, Jean Al. Steriadi, Ștefan Popescu and the sculptor Dimitrie Paciurea.
The interwar period marked by the artistic movement The group of four founded in 1925 by painters Nicolae Tonitza, Ștefan Dimitrescu, Francisc Șirato and the sculptor Oscar Han, initially affiliated to the Romanian Art group, formed in 1918. Generation of active artists in the first half of the twentieth century is dominated by Theodor Pallady and Gheorghe Petrașcu, Iosif Iser and Camil Ressu elements of European modernism coexisting with the signs of traditional art, Parisian landscapes with those of Dobrogea and the Middle East, characters and scenes from the world of entertainment with those from the Romanian village (Rudolf Schweitzer- Cumpăna, Dimitrie Ghiață).