The decorative art collection includes approximately 1,500 pieces divided, according to materials, into the following sub-collections: ceramics, glassware, clocks, textiles (carpets and tapestries), pieces of furniture and metal objects. The foundations of this collection were laid in the 19th century by Ormós Zsigmond (1813-1894), the founder of the Timişoara museum, together with the first pieces donated to the museum, published in the catalog of his collections published in 1888. The initial collection was completed during twentieth century through acquisitions, donations and transfers.
The ceramics collection presents, through the objects of tiles, faience and porcelain, the stylistic stages of the most prestigious European workshops. English faience, Meissen and Viennese services and trinkets, Sèvres porcelain biscuits, Secession vessels made by Zsolnay or majolica pieces produced at Urbino and Faenza; most of the furniture comes from Central European workshops and is in Biedermeier style, complete with German and Austrian baroque cabinets from the 18th century, rococo mirrors, French Empire style living room furniture and from the Italian furniture production we mention the cabinets neo-renaissance with ivory and mother-of-pearl inlays.